Thursday, July 3, 2008

How I Hate Hills...





Really, really am not liking these hills... they are starting to come out in full force. I know we will be getting major ones in Laos but didn't expect the massive ones we had in Thailand. Seriously the day of riding between Kabin Buri and Nakhon Ratchasima the stupid hill wouldn't end. It just kept going up and up and up and up and up and up... and up... and oh wait up again. Didn't stop. I had to get off and take a breather so I kind of feel I was defeated. But I didn't walk. I was dripping in sweat. Not pleasant. Also cursed the hill like crazy and wrote a song about how I dislike going up hills. I think by the end of this trip I will have a new album entitled, 'Songs by Kevin on A Bike'. Most of them unfortunately I think will be with a lot of cursing because I really get pissed at a lot of things while biking.

Today as well we had another stupid hill. Wasn't as bad but still a pain. To make matters worse I broke my pedal. It is on its last heels but I will keep riding it until it dies. It is currently ripped apart. Luckily I picked up a spare in Nakhon Ratchasima.

Other than that we have both had a few more annoying flat tires. Seems like these tiny splinters or microscopic nails are getting through the tire and pinching the tube. So that makes it real difficult to locate the hole and remove the prick. We end up spending like a good 30 minutes just fixing it. Argh and a half.

Also had a spoke get busted. A tiny rock deflected I think from a passing bus that dinged my back tire and in doing so broke one of my spokes. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what was wrong but kept thinking something was. My tire was wobbling but I had no clue. Finally Trevor realized after we were about 10 km from the nearest town that my spoke was busted. So, I had to remove my back brakes and cruise back into Nakhon Ratchasima. Luckily someone there could fix it. I think he was the only guy in town because we went all over and I asked all around. A big phew there.
The only real positive news I guess I have these past few days is that I obliterated my maximum speed record! The good thing with the major hills is what goes up must come down! And so I hit a max speed of................... 62.2 km per hour!!! I was flying! Kind of scary though because if I wipeout then that wouldn't be so good...
Right now we are in Sakhon Nakhon. Tomorrow we should be entering Laos! Excited tis I. Always exciting entering a different country. New food, people, culture, etc.
The first picture: Dead or alive? Well... dead unfortunately. I didn't do it though. Seen a lot of roadkill along the way...
The second picture: The spoke that broke. Wow, I just made a rhyme. That was huge... probably could make a song out of that one... hmmm...
The last picture: A bunch of cows we passed going up one of the major hills.

3 comments:

pr0digy1 said...

this blog is great, keep it up guys and keep us updated, it's very entertaining reading this stuff, and if you can, please post more pics

good luck, Tomas.

Kevin Hansen said...

thanks Tomas and will do! i would like to post some pics of Trevor but he doesn't want any pics of him online... soooo i guess more of me and the road!

mahlerzhou said...

The first pic maybe is Agkistrodon halys,very dangerous snake!
I think bicycle in moutains is very exciting! the last day in this summer's trip,I ride 150km,all the road is in moutain...I gain a max speed as 65.2km/h