Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Aftermath




The issue of sending the bicycles home to Vancouver turned out to be more problematic than first anticipated. Our original plan was to get a bicycle shop disassemble, package and ship the bikes overseas to Canada. We visited numerous bike shops all around Tokyo... cycling from Tokyo station to Shinjuku to Shibuya to Gotanda to Ginza to Tsukiji... ended up doing more cycling than expected. We couldn't find any shop that would do it... they only do it within Japan. After hours of pondering what to do we decided the only way was to ship it ourselves... but neither of us have ever disassembled a bicycle before. I also had to enquire a lot at the Post Office as to what are the maximum dimensions and weight for the box... it wasn't so easy.

So today we spent a good 8 hours disassembling, packing and then lugging the boxes to the Post Office. Luckily a bike shop gave us free boxes and let us borrow a wrench. It wasn't actually all that hard to do the whole thing... a big relief! I really didn't want to have to abandon this bike... too many memories with it... and hopefully more to come!

Anyways, this really caps this adventure off... we are on foot now. No more peddling...

Pic 1: It was nice of the sun to come out today in Tokyo... disassembling the bikes wouldn't have been easy in the rain... but yeah our stuff pretty much was spread out all around this area outside a bike shop...
Pic 2: That would be me signing off outside the Post Office after sending the last package. I guess this will be my last post and the end of this blog. But before I end I would like to big up all those who actually read some of it... I sincerely appreciate it... seriously!
Pic 3: One last photo... I met this bum on the street who agreed to a picture with me... alright I kid I kid... yes finally after the whole trip is over and done with Trevor agrees to a photo to be put up on this blog! Crazy... I am a bit surprised... as he has always insisted no photos of him on the blog... but anyways, that tis him at the moment... once clean shaved at the beginning of the trip and now looking like your local street corner bum... good news ladies, he is single!!!

No comments: