Tuesday, August 5, 2008

China done... I think?








I guess for the most part things went smoothly heading north from Shanghai. We are now in what I think is our final Chinese town being the Lianyungang port. This is the end for us in China. It was somewhat difficult getting information about the ferry for Incheon today but I think it leaves tomorrow evening. I guess we'll soon see.

Lots of people we have met always think we are going to Beijing but we simply cannot due to our 30 day visas. They expire in a few days. A few nights ago I had to make a trip down to the exit and entry security bureau. I again had no clue what was going on and basically the guy just jotted down our details and asked where we were going. I never really have much clue what goes on anywhere now that I think of it.

The road we have been on the past few days has been pretty good I would say. We had to cross the Yangtze river which was kind of neat.

Soooo... both Trevor and I are looking forward to a new country. We are both optimistic there are more convenient stores in Korea. I know for a fact Seoul has plenty. It is going to be weird though for the next few days as we won't be biking. This will be a first. The plan is to hop on this ferry which I believe takes 24 hours and then when in Seoul get the bikes tuned up while Trevor goes and tours the DMZ. I think I want to go watch the new Batman flick Dark Knight. I am a huge Batman fan. Can't wait to see that moooovie. Seriously the best movie ever was the 1966 version of Batman and one of the best TV shows was the '66 Batman series... classic I tell you... classic. I try and get Trevor to act the part of Robin at times throughout the trip but he doesn't play along. For example, I usually ask him to say 'Chains to speed'... and then I would go 'Roger, ready to move out!'... you know like they do in the show except I think Robin says 'Turbines to speed' implying the batmobile is ready to go... sooooo in our case it would just be another way to say is your bike ready for riding. However, the only thing I do get to say is 'To the batbikes'...

Anywaysssssssss... I think I have gone way off topic here. Let's look at some more pictures of me... oh joy. Actually wait before I do that I would like to say it isn't that I love myself so much by putting pictures of just me on here... it is just that Trevor doesn't want any pictures of him on this thing. He refuses period. I say it is because he doesn't want his true secret identity to be revealed like Batman and Robin. Everytime I tell him that he just gives me one of those blank stares and says I am an idiot. This happens a lot.

Alright enough. I am definitely in left field right now.

Pic 1: On the way out of Shanghai on Nanjing Road... also the street where lots of people shop til they drop...
Pic 2: Crossing the Yangtze River.
Pic 3: Chilling on the side of the 204... good road I would say. And those goggles there seriously one of my best buys for the bike trip. I picked them up on the first day of cycling just outside of Johor Bahru at a Mesra and wa lau they have been spectacular. I accidently sat on them in Hanoi so they had to be taped up...
Pic 4: The 204 was flooded in one area so this guy led us to the expressway as it was the only way to get back on track. At the beginning he requested 20 RMB and we gave him it as we thought he was going to boat us across (thinking it was the only way). Later we found out he meant he would show us the way around. This sucked as we could of done that ourselves easily as Trevor is a pro with the GPS. He has maps galore and could have led us back on track... maybe not as quick but we would have got there in the end... aiyah... However the positive (because I always look at the positives and not the negatives) out of this was we met a cool cyclist who was also heading north.

2 comments:

mahlerzhou said...

I am the student meet in Road 204. The local guider didn't tell me the detail how to across the river, at first, I guess we will by ferry.some more,10 KM before,a policeman told me I can go by boat.So, I make a mistake........
By the way ,I find both our camera is Canon A series,both the software we use to resize the pic maybe,is Image Resizer Powertoy

Kevin Hansen said...

Yeah no worries about the crossing... it was nice of you to assist us! I am no pro with computers but I think we use Image Resizer Powertoy as well.