Friday, August 1, 2008

Shanghai Surprise


We are now in Shanghai! Cruised in late last night after getting a bit lost. But Trevor navigated us straight into the city... I gave him credit. Not so easy biking in and around Shanghai... too many places where cyclists cannot bike.

It was nice having a day off today. But I guess not really a day to relax as we had many things to take care of. Trevor now has a new back tire... so hopefully this means he won't be patching up flats 5 times a day like he has been doing in the past few days.

Also coming into Shanghai another spoke broke on my bike. I had a bike mechanic in a nearby town fix it. However, I have noticed most mechanics we have dealt with after leaving Thailand (aside from the one's in Nanning) haven't been so great. They are rough on the bikes and don't really do a professional job. I guess this is a given though as they deal mostly with the old banged up bicycles we see all the time.

Shanghai is really expensive. We are staying in a dorm at this hostel near the Bund. To my surprise this was the first time ever Trevor has stayed in a dorm at a hostel. He doesn't like it. And he doesn't really like Shanghai as well. I think Shanghai is my most favourite Chinese city on the mainland. Trevor prefers Nanning.

Anyways the plan from here is to head north to Lianyungang and ferry it out of the country. Our visas expire on the 8th so it is essential nothing goes drastically wrong.

Pic 1: On the Bund. We have arrived in Shanghai...

Pic 2: Kind of tough taking this photo with the Pudong skyline in the background as bikes are not allowed up there along the promenade. Luckily no one kicked us off.

2 comments:

mahlerzhou said...

I think shanghai goverment have published a unwise policy that forbid the cyclists in some main road. To the opposite,maybe in your country, some area,cars is forbiden,is that right?
If you come to shanghai next time, I can lead you around the main city area,out of the bicycle-forbiden road.

Kevin Hansen said...

Sounds like a great plan to me! I will give you a shout next time I am in Shanghai!