Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Into the Land of the Rising Sun





We have entered our final country for the trip! Got in this morning to Hakata Bay and left shortly after. So far it has been great! I seriously love Japan. Our route today was so good... roads were excellent and convenient stores galore... I couldn't be happier.

Trevor however is having a bit of difficulty getting accustom to the culture... that is he doesn't like to bathe naked with others. He skipped showering on the ferry over but ended up bathing here at the Shimonoseki Youth Hostel. I don't understand what the big deal is... I can't wait to hit up an onsen (or 2... or 3...) later on!

Pretty nice to be in Shimonoseki tonight as there were the annual fireworks going on. Kind of reminded me of the Festival of Lights that go on in Vancouver.

Anyways good start in Japan... hopefully it will continue that way.

Pic 1: Had some trouble around Kokura as we couldn't cross the big red bridge... so we ended up backtracking and taking a much longer route around the water.

Pic 2: Walking through a tunnel to get to Shimonoseki... I really like the kimono!

Pic 3: Outside the tunnel in Shimonoseki. This area really reminds me of Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge for some reason...

Pic 4: The fireworks going on... pretty nice.

6 comments:

mahlerzhou said...

For many years,I saw a group and a group of cyclists from other countries riding in Roads,they come from a place very far and goes to a remote place. When tibet first opened for foreigners 20 years ago,first cyclists riding in Chuan-zang Road are not chinese but from other countries. native citizens don't know the style of living at all.
I really appreciate the wonderful lives very different from our conservative life,I do some try to change the mode of born-study-work-marriage-dead circles aslo. But people around me all have big pressure------How to study better and earn more money,Most of students around me lead a dull life.
But I have no courage to face such a life!
This spring my dormitory comes a New zealander,he is 33 years old,He have no career,no wife ,no enough money, excerpt a lot of good plans.he just foot around china. I can not negate his philosophy of life.But I can not excerpt the life style of spending some year in a exoticism place
I want to know why?why you choose this life?Are travel beneficial or harmful for your career? How do you juidge riding as a part of your life? or there is no answer,you just do it?maybe several year's extravagate will make me feel incriminatory---I spend so much time doing no important thing of my life!........

Kevin Hansen said...

I guess it all depends what you want in life really. Right now for me I do not really want to settle down. And there are many things I want to do in life, this being one of them. Basically I kind of feel life is short and many people do not follow their real dreams.
If you think about it though taking a year or two out to do things you really want to do, does not make much of a difference. Also the life experiences gained from such adventures are I think extremely valuable.
Bottom line the way I see it... if you are not happy what your doing then you should change something!
But also the way your going at the moment getting an education is very important and I think a wise move. After you obtain your degree then maybe cycle around in some foreign countries and do the stuff you really want to do!

mahlerzhou said...

Yeah,you are right and have more courage than many people.I used to have many unrealistic dreams,most of never come yo true...
There is something I want to know. why chinese are so difficult to get a visa?Do chinese get a bad reputation in the international community? I want to know why.because the political reason,or some chinese businessman sell cheap,low-quality productions in international market?and some more reasons?

mahlerzhou said...

By the way ,what is your trip going on?

Kevin Hansen said...

Hmmm... not totally sure actually. I have often wondered how the visa situation works with certain countries. There are many factors I think like how they get along and their trade relations...

It was actually quite difficult to get into China because of the Olympics. One has to show loads of documentation and a return ticket. Luckily we got around that.

I do not think the Chinese get a bad rap in the international community though.

Not exactly sure what you mean by what my trip is going on?

mahlerzhou said...

Yes,this is a very special year in china.I have never seen chinese government spend so much money ,time to deal with any other event in such a restrict way.
Chinese have a bad fame is heared from some people,I hope it is not true!