Friday, August 15, 2008

Off the Beaten Path







It certainly has been some superb cycling these past few days. I absolutely love the scenery. To get away from the busier roads we took a more scenic but much longer and hillier route. Trevor does not appreciate the scenery as much as I do though.

The only big downer of Japan is it is waaaaay tooo expensive. But then again I guess it is just like any western country. In countries like Canada and the USA you are probably going to be paying the same prices. But then again I could eat for so cheap in England... mainly due to those reduced priced items at Tesco and Sainsbury's... those were the days...

But yeah, this is our third night now in Japan and we started out in a youth hostel, yesterday a minshuku and now a manga kissa. Trevor really likes these manga kissa's as do I. Pretty much a whole little cubicle to yourself with a TV and computer. Best of all the drinks are free! So really how cannot?
Not sure how many more days until Tokyo. The sooner the better I think as my pockets are not that deep. After that though I can use the superb Japan Rail system and overnight it everywhere saving loads on accommodation... it was how I got around last time!

Pic 1: The hills are back... a little factoid for you... Japan is about 70 to 80 percent mountainous... smart aren't I??? ... Okay so I looked that up... but yeah that means it has been some tough riding.

Pic 2: After a really tough hill climb around Mine (not yours, mine... tee hee) we cycled through a lot of stupendous scenery. Lots of karst rocks and just nice green land. It was great.

Pic 3: Playing dress up at the minshuku in the sweet mountain town of Tsuwano. Our room was so cool... very Japanese. I couldn't resist putting the gear on and taking a few photos.

Pic 4: Vending machines are everywhere. We don't buy drinks from there though as 500 ml just isn't enough. Also costlier...

Pic 5: Kind of hard to see but behind me in the distance is one of the most photographed sites in Japan... usually taken from the island in the distance and not where we took the photo! But yeah that is the floating torii at Miyajima.

Pic 6: At the hypocenter in Hiroshima... again reminding me how much I would love to live in a world without any nuclear weapons... yes I like to dream and hopefully that dream will one day come true...  

No comments: